The CVB board of directors in November approved legislative priorities for the organization for 2022.

They are:

City-Level Governmental Issues

  • As soon as possible, Springfield voters should be asked to approve amending the definition of who is required to collect and remit the city’s lodging tax so it can be collected from short-term rental owners.

State-Level Governmental Issues

  • Enabling legislation to increase the city’s hotel-motel tax continues to be a priority for the CVB. If enabling legislation is approved, the city at a future date would place a hotel-motel tax increase on a ballot to provide funding for a convention center or multi-purpose sports facility.
  • “Meet in Missouri” legislation was passed in 2019 but has been funded only once. Funding for the Meet in Missouri Act comes from the sales tax on hotel rooms occupied by delegates from conventions where at least 50 percent of the delegates are from out of state. The funding will help provide incentives to meeting and event planners considering having their events in the state and is only paid after the event occurs. As such, there is no financial risk to the state.
  • A dedicated funding mechanism for the Division of Tourism to provide consistent travel industry promotion.
  • The CVB supports the Springfield Regional Arts Council’s legislative priority of increased funding for the Missouri Arts Council and the cultural partners through the non-resident athlete and entertainers’ income tax. Revenue from the tax is appropriated to the Missouri Arts Council for annual grantmaking to support the programming and operational needs of the creative sector. By statute, 60% of the funds generated through this tax should be allocated to the Missouri Arts Council and the remaining 40% should be distributed to the cultural partners. 
  • Incentives for film production in Missouri would place the state in a more competitive position to entice filmmakers to produce movies in the state.

Multi-level Governmental Issues

  • The CVB supports efforts to seek city, county and state ARPA funds for tourism-related infrastructure.

The CVB is a nonprofit marketing organization dedicated to enhancing the economic prosperity of the region through growth in travel and tourism.