Springfield Cardinals baseball is the pride of the Queen City. Since coming to the city in 2005, the redbirds have captured the hearts of Springfieldians and visitors alike.
On the last Saturday night home game of the 2016 regular season, thousands lined up outside Hammons Field, well before the first pitch, to cheer on the Minor League Double-A Texas League affiliate of the 11-time World Champion St. Louis Cardinals.
Larry and Sharla Beurlein of Walnut Grove, Missouri, were among the thousands in line dressed head-to-toe in Cardinals red.
“If we’re not busy, we don’t miss a game,” said Larry, a die-hard fan of the Springfield and St. Louis teams. “There’s nothing like spending an evening at Hammons Field. And what’s so special about catching a Springfield Cardinals game is that you get to watch these players, some of whom will end up playing in the big leagues in St. Louis.”
Cardinals fans cheer on the team at Hammons Field in Springfield, Missouri.
The Beurleins were part of a crowd that marked the largest of the season and 13th-largest in team history.
“It’s just exciting!” added Sharla. “We think Springfield Cardinals fans are the best in the Minor Leagues and just love the eclectic atmosphere at these games. We’ll be here every season.”
Matt Gifford, vice president and general manager of the Springfield Cardinals agrees wholeheartedly.
“We do have the best fans in Minor League baseball because they are Cardinals fans,” said Gifford. “There’s such a pride in Springfield! You can see the future of Cardinals baseball at such an affordable price here in Springfield and you can get close to the players, you can get their autographs. It’s just a unique experience.”
Indeed, player interaction with fans is one of the special perks of attending a Cardinals game. Each night at Hammons Field, several players are stationed at the gate entrances to greet fans and sign autographs as the gates open. Players are sometimes available by the home dugout on the first base side before and after the game and are available to sign as time permits.
Louie, the official mascotof the Springfield Cardinals, loves to pose for photos.
Gifford credits the Cardinals’ dedication to fans and the city of Springfield to the popular response the team has had in Springfield. “I still remember the reception [from people when we came to Springfield] and I would start with a handshake and they would find out I was with the Cardinals and that turned quickly into a hug,” he said.
Through the end of the 2015 season, a total of 73 former Springfield Cardinals have made their big league debut with the St. Louis Cardinals and more than 4.4 million fans have visited Hammons Field in the first 11 seasons of Springfield Cardinals Baseball.
Take yourself out to the ballgame! The 2017 season home opener is April 13!
The following are the planned game day giveaways for the 2017 season:
- Great Southern Bank Magnet Schedule Giveaway | April 13 & 14
- Opening Day Fireworks Celebration | April 13
- Foundation Credit Union Pink Shirt Giveaway | April 15
- Expedia Umbrella Giveaway | April 29
- Nixon & Lindstrom Insurance Baseball Koozie Giveaway | May 4
- St. Louis Cardinals Replica 1967 World Series Championship Mystery Ring Giveaway | May 20
- Central Bank of the Ozarks Trucker Cap Giveaway | May 21
- St. Louis Cardinals Carlos Martinez & Matt Carpenter Double Bobblehead Giveaway | June 1
- Coca-Cola Super Soft Cotton Shirt Giveaway | June 3
- St. Louis Cardinals Pet Bowl Giveaway | June 4
- Price Cutter and Bar-S Foods Luke Voit Home Run Derby / Batting Champion Bobblehead Giveaway | June 15
- Six Flags St. Louis Free Kids Ticket Giveaway | June 16
- Vision Clinic Alex Reyes #1 Pitching Prospect Bobblehead Giveaway | June 17
- American National Dexter Fowler 2008 Texas League All-Star Bobblehead Giveaway | June 22
- Mercy Dry Fit Shirt Giveaway | June 24
- Great Southern Bank Replica Home Jersey Giveaway | July 6
- Hiland Dairy Carson Kelly & Luke Weaver Cardinals Minor League Player & Pitcher of the Year Double Bobblehead Giveaway | July 8
- St. Louis Cardinals Replica 1942 World Series Championship Ring Giveaway | July 16
- Aaron Sachs & Associates Route 66 Super Soft Shirt Giveaway | August 3
- Maria's Mexican Restaurant Willie McGee Career Highlights Bobblehead Giveaway | August 5
- Sysco Foods Team Baseball Card Set Giveaway | August 6
- St. Louis Cardinals Replica 1987 National League Championship Ring Giveaway | August 17
- St. Louis Cardinals Charlie Brown & Peanuts 50th Anniversary Bobblehead Giveaway | August 19
- Mercy Route 66 Rumble Canvas Giveaway | August 26
- Budweiser 1967 World Series Championship St. Louis Beer Stein Giveaway | August 31
- Fan Appreciation Day Free Voucher for 2018 Game | September 1