Just when we thought it couldn’t get any worse, it got worse.
Officials have issued “stay-at-home” orders for Greene County and Springfield to help combat the spread of COVID-19. The order is effective beginning at 12:01 a.m. Thursday and will be in effect for 30 days. That means businesses that are not considered essential must close.
During a press briefing today, officials said businesses considered essential include hotels, restaurants offering delivery or carry-out, grocery stores, healthcare facilities, financial services, government functions and others.
A press release issued by the Greene County Commission listed the following as essential activities:
- To engage in activities or perform tasks essential to their health and safety, or to the health and safety of their family or household members (including, but not limited to, pets), or close personal acquaintances, such as, by way of example only and without limitation, obtaining medical supplies or medication, visiting a healthcare professional, or obtaining supplies they need to work from home.
- To obtain necessary services or supplies for themselves and their family or household members, or close personal acquaintances, or to deliver those services or supplies to others, such as, by way of example only and without limitation, groceries and essential household goods and products, such as cleaning and personal care products, and other products necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences.
- To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with Physical Distancing Requirements as defined herein, such as, by way of example and without limitation, biking, walking, hiking, or running.
- To perform work providing essential products and services at an Essential Business (as defined in the Order) or to otherwise carry out activities specifically permitted in this Order, including Minimum Basic Operations, as defined herein, at Non-Essential Business.
- To care for a family member, close personal acquaintance, or pet in another household.
A copy of the Greene County's full order and exemptions is available at https://greenecountymo.gov/files/PDF/file.pdf?id=35369.
The City of Springfield’s order is here: https://www.springfieldmo.gov/DocumentCenter/View/48365/COVID-19-Stay-at-Home-Order-Ex-A.