Local bloggers, Emma Chapman and Elsie Larson - authors of A Beautiful Mess, helped the Springfield Convention & Visitors Bureau develop an itinerary showcasing the city to potential visitors. The CVB then invited top-tier bloggers to visit Springfield June 2-5 to experience the city and all it has to offer.
Visiting bloggers at Zen3 Spa and Bodyworks in Springfield.
The bloggers shared photos and stories about their experiences in the city and continue to post about the trip on their blogs and social channels. Follow the conversation at #OneJetJaunts on Twitter and Instagram and on their individual blogs.
The itinerary for the trip is now available for future visitors to enjoy.
The Ultimate Springfield Experience
by Emma Chapman & Elsie Larson of A Beautiful Mess.
Millsap Farms Pizza Club. Photo by Chelsea Bird.
12 p.m. - Arrive in Springfield and Explore Downtown Springfield for Lunch
Explore downtown Springfield where you’ll find more than 40 chef-owned restaurants along with galleries, shops, pubs and more. Lunch suggestions include the following:
- Black Sheep Burgers and Shakes - 209 E. Walnut St. - Choose from a “boozy” shake and a dozen burgers, including Cowboy Carl, a behemoth topped with brisket, pickles, candied bacon, white cheddar and a mountain of spicy fried onions.
- Druff’s - 331 Park Central East Suite 101 - Check out one of the city’s newest restaurants serving gourmet grilled cheese, hot soup and cold beer.
- Maria’s Mexican Restaurant - 406 South Ave. - If you like Mexican, you’ll love Maria’s in downtown Springfield. Dishes made fresh daily with recipes handed down include fried tacos, fajitas, carne asada, carnitas, seafood enchiladas and guacamole.
- Big Whiskey’s American Bar & Grill - 311 Park Central East - Good food and drinks in a fun and comfortable atmosphere right off Park Central Square.
- Civil Kitchen & Tap - 107 and 222 Park Central East - Located in the heart of downtown Springfield with a great view of Park Central Square. Enjoy made-from-scratch Midwestern classics with a modern twist.
- Cherry Picker Package x Fare - 601 S. Pickwick Ave. - Located in charming Pickwick Place, Cherry Picker offers gourmet coffee, soups, sandwiches, wine and cocktails.
- Springfield Brewing Company - 305 S Market Ave. - Springfield Brewing Company is dedicated to creating fresh, one-of-a-kind dishes for every occasion. Whether it be a night out on the town, a family reunion, or a Sunday Funday with your best friends, they've the good eats you crave.
2 p.m. - Zen3 Spa and Bodyworks - 619 S. Pickwick Ave.
Enjoy a lemongrass foot treatment at Zen3, a peaceful retreat to heal the body, soothe the mind and nurture the spirit.
3:15 p.m. - Check in to Hotel
Check in and refresh at your hotel
6 p.m. - Millsap Farms Pizza Club - 6593 Emu Ln.
Delicious wood-fired pizza topped with seasonal produce harvested from the farm, local meats, cheeses and sauces. While there, tour the farm where everything is grown organically, the way nature intended.
Gailey’s Breakfast Cafe. Photo courtesy of Stephanie Drenka.
8:30 a.m. - Breakfast at Gailey’s Breakfast Cafe - 220 E. Walnut St.
The former drug store in the historic Hotel Seville offers a variety of breakfast options including sweet potato hashbrowns, a local favorite! For those longing for yesteryear, the old drug store portion of the restaurant has walls adorned with original decor and old-time counter and stools.
10 a.m. - Explore C-Street
Commercial Street, dubbed C-Street by locals, is an eclectic collection of boutiques, restaurants and shops. Smell the spices at Chabom, enjoy coffee or a smoothie at Big Momma’s or explore the unique shops along the street. There’s plenty to explore!
10:30 a.m. - Creative Escape Glass - 219 W. Commercial St. #104
Under the direction of artist Rebekah Santiago, make a unique souvenir using pieces of glass that are then fused in a kiln. Your souvenir will be one-of-a kind and you’ll have fun! Not an artist? That’s OK. Anyone can do it!
11:45 a.m. - Lunch at Ms. Gilmore’s Vintage Suitcase and Tea Room - 211 E. Commercial St.
You might feel as though you have just fallen down the rabbit hole when you enter the front door of Ms. Gilmore’s and enjoy the wonderment of it all. The boutique is filled with merriment and the food is delicious.
1 p.m. - Askinosie Chocolate - 514 E. Commercial St.
Taste samples at internationally renowned Askinosie Chocolate and learn about the owner, Shawn Askinosie, who left a lucrative career as an attorney to become a chocolatier and philanthropist.
2 p.m. - Tour Bass Pro Shops and Wonders of Wildlife - 1935 S. Campbell Ave.
Since 2007, WOW has been undergoing renovations to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars. Explore the complex to get a preview of what people will see when it opens this fall. You’ll also get a chance to explore Bass Pro Shops Outdoor World, the first and largest Bass Pro store in the world.
5 p.m. - Hotel Vandivort Bathroom Selfies - 305 E. Walnut St.
Hotel Vandivort is city’s first and only boutique hotel. With historic beginnings as a century-old Masonic Temple, the repurposed building features unique room spaces and state-of-the-art amenities while the decor accentuates the history of the building. Nearly 1,000 Instagram selfies have been taken in the public restrooms at Hotel Vandivort. The lighting is perfect and many of them look like professional portraits! Try it yourself and be sure to tag #hotelvandivortbathroomselfies. It’s a Springfield thing!
6:00 p.m. - Mother’s Brewing Co. - 215 S. Grant Ave.
Sample the beers that make life’s everyday moments anything but at one of the fastest growing craft breweries in the country.
7:10 p.m. - Attend a Springfield Cardinals baseball game at the beautiful Hammons Field. - 955 E Trafficway St. (April-October) Hammons Field is home to the Double-A affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. Catch a Springfield Cardinals game and see baseball’s future stars, today!
Evening - First Friday Art Walk (First Friday of every month)
Enjoy a stroll downtown to experience a variety of art in downtown shops and galleries along with food and drink options galore.
9:00 p.m. - Trolley Bike
Experience nightlife in downtown Springfield on a bicycle built for 14! Riders work together to casually pedal The Trolley Bike around a designated route and stop whenever a thirst needs quenching.
Golden Girl Rum Club. Photo courtesy of Stephanie Drenka.
8:40 a.m. - Elle’s Patisserie - 1454 E. Cherry St.
Pick up treats for the afternoon at Elle’s Patisserie and enjoy a light breakfast. Elle’s offers gourmet chocolate truffles, French pastries, French pressed coffee, handmade ice cream, marshmallows and treats. You’ll feel as if you’ve visited a small village in the French Alps.
9:30 a.m. - Explore Farmers Park - 2144 E. Republic Rd.
Offering premium alternatives to the mass-produced food and goods so commonly sold today. Explore the Farmers’ Market where you’ll find all sorts of local goods and the shops where you’ll find high-end clothing at Staxx and Jelly Beans. Don’t miss 5# Apparel, the store where everything sold gives back in a civic-minded way.
12:30 p.m. - Lunch at Leong’s Asian Diner - 1540 W. Republic Rd.
This is where you’ll find the city’s signature dish - Springfield-Style Cashew Chicken - made by the family that invented it in 1963. Meet the owner, Wing Leong, and get ready for a full tummy!
3:30 p.m. - Fantastic Caverns Tour - 4872 N. Farm Rd. 125
Explore underground wonders from the comfort of a Jeep-drawn tram while a knowledgeable guide explains how the cave and its formations were formed, how the cave was discovered, its history as a speakeasy and more.
5 p.m. - Dessert at Andy’s (5 locations in Springfield)
Oh, we’re goin’ to Andy’s! You’ll fall in love with the frozen custard at this local favorite. It’s creamy, smooth and beyond delicious!
5:45 p.m. - Return to Hotel to refresh for the evening
7:30 p.m. - Dinner at Golden Girl Rum Club - 137 Park Central Square
It’s trendy. It’s hip. It’s Golden Girl Rum Club! Sip on tropical-inspired cocktails and nibble on a variety of delectable dishes at this unique restaurant co-owned by the authors of A Beautiful Mess.
The Order at Hotel Vandivort.
8 a.m. - Enjoy breakfast before you depart at one of these great downtown options.
- The Order - 305 E. Walnut St. - The Order features upscale cuisine in a sophisticated yet approachable atmosphere. Located on the lobby level of the Hotel Vandivort, the space was designed to create a lively social experience. The food’s pretty darned good, too!
- Aviary Cafe & Creperie - 400 E. Walnut St. #100 - This quaint cafe has a menu offering hearty, made-from-scratch dishes created from premium ingredients, local farm-fresh seasonal vegetables and baked goods.
- After Breakfast - Coffee Anyone?
For those with time before departures, stroll down to MudHouse, Coffee Ethic or Kingdom Coffee for some wonderful coffee and do a downtown walkabout.
*This itinerary is not meant to be a complete list of all of the wonderful attractions, restaurant, retailers and experiences guests can have on a visit to Springfield. For a more thorough list, visit our homepage at springfieldmo.org to begin planning your own Ultimate Springfield Experience.